Co-insurance in healthcare refers to the percentage of costs for covered healthcare services that a patient is required to pay after their deductible has been met. It is a cost-sharing arrangement between the patient and the insurance company.

For example, if a patient’s insurance policy has a 20% co-insurance rate for a specific service, the patient would be responsible for paying 20% of the allowed amount for that service, while the insurance company would cover the remaining 80%. Co-insurance helps to distribute healthcare costs between the insurer and the insured, and it often applies after the deductible has been paid.